T.E.A.C.H. Scholarships Grow in Enrollment and Eligibility
Administered by the NM Association for the Education of Young Children, T.E.A.C.H. offers scholarships to early educators interested in meeting FOCUS quality standards and becoming the best educators they can be for New Mexico’s young children.
With the Race to the Top support, the number of T.E.A.C.H. scholars who all are already working with young children, their parents or their teachers has grown 53% in just the past year –– from 652 scholars in 2014 to 1,000 in FY 2015.
“Race To the Top has made it possible for T.E.A.C.H. to offer scholarships to about 102 people who would not have been eligible before for the grant,” said Dan Ritchey, director of the T.E.A.C.H. Early Childhood® scholarship program. These individuals include:
- 12 parent educators working with Spanish speaking families.
- 13 home visitors or home visiting administrators (who are eligible partly because FOCUS is including home visiting programs)
- 14 early interventionists (FOCUS is getting involved with improving quality in early intervention, too.)
- 16 NM PreK, Training and Technical Assistance and FOCUS consultants.
- 6 public school special education assistant teachers.
- 2 early childhood licensing staff.
- 5 higher education faculty in early childhood.
- 16 parent-educators at a bilingual – Spanish and English – parent cooperative preschool recently set up at a local elementary school in Albuquerque (Manzano-Mesa).
- 9 educators at two bilingual early childhood programs being organized in the South Valley area of Albuquerque.
- 2 NM School for the Deaf staff.
For more information about the T.E.A.C.H. Early Childhood® scholarship, call 505-243-5437 or visit www.nmaeyc.org